Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Eggplants - Fairytale

Fairytale is my current favorite hybrid eggplant.  The plants are medium size, about 3 feet tall and really prolific. The fruit is exceptionally small by eggplant standards.  They are best when picked at about 4-6 inches long.  But boy are they tasty and tender.  They have the best flavor of any I've had.  The skin is tender enough to leave on in some recipes, but most of the time it is best to remove it.  There is none of the bitterness of other eggplants.  An added benefit is that they are beautiful.  I have them in my from garden where they are as much ornamental as anything else.  I'm on my second large crop from the same four plants I planted in the spring.  They are slow to get going, but once they do - Watch out!  We  freeze them, dry them, make appetizers out of them, stuff them and of course enjoy them fresh.  My mom had a great eggplant casserole that Diane has been able to replicate.  Mom would never write it down, but Diane has gotten pretty close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment